Friday, March 5, 2010

Final Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

Will Win: The Hurt Locker


The Best Picture race this year is in total mystery. Because the Academy is using the preferential system for the Best Picture winner for the first time in a long time, this literally means that any film can potentially take this. I assume that in a tough battle between The Hurt Locker and Avatar, the former will take it, as it has the momentum of Bigelow and the fact that Cameron has been here before, plus Avatar’s dominance in the tech categories will probably be seen as enough of a reward. However, Avatar, Inglourious Basterds, Up in the Air or any other film could potentially take this award. I make the call for The Hurt Locker, but this is a very unpredictable race.


Should Win: Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire


This was at one time considered a front runner in a Best Picture race that was still finding its footing. But it peaked way too early and will unfortunately have to settle on a single win for Mo’Nique. That’s a shame because this film managed to pull me in more than any other film I had seen this year. Lee Daniels managed to make me believe in a story and characters that I was skeptical to enter into, but his service is fantastic. No other film this year reached me on an emotional level as this one, which I declared my favorite film of 2009. I’m not guessing a lot of Academy members would agree, but for me, this is the Best Picture winner.

No comments: